Wednesday 20 January 2010

Wildlfe watching last year - Deers





I try to get out as much as possible at weekends with my walking Buddy Barry. We always go somewhere different usually around Northamptonshire. The more isolated and remote the better as we tend to find the best wildlife that way - Photographing them is another matter entirely .... Without Barry I would get hopelessly lost as I can't read a map to save my life whereas he is an expert ! The other good part of our walks is that we always end up at Village Pub somewhere and sample a few good Ales!!! There are six free living species of deer in great Britain only the Red Deer and Roe Deer are truly native to this country. All the other British species are completely "exotic", with the Fallow Deer almost certainly brought to this country by the Normans, and three asiatic species, Muntjac, Chinese water deer and Sika Deer, originally introduced towards the end of the nineteenth and beginning of the twentieth centuries. Many of which escaped from private collections and adopted well to the British landscape. It is incredibly difficult to get close to Deer as they are incredibly shy and disappear into the undergrowth or darkest parts of a Forest in a flash. However I have included some photos I did manage to obtain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...