Wednesday 2 October 2024

Constantine, Boobys Bay, Trevose Head & Treyarnon Bay Walk

Constantine Bay

A good nights sleep and a most tasty breakfast, has set us up perfectly for a day of coastal walking. We caught the faithful number 56 bus once again, this time heading towards Padstow. It's a lovely journey with great views from our perch on the upper deck. I'm very familiar with this north coast of Cornwall but never tire of the scenery.  We are only going as far as 'Constantine' today. Leaving the bus we gather a few supplies from the store as we start our walk.  

We walk down the winding lane close to the Trevose Golf & Country Club. I can always remember the excitement of getting close to the beach as a child. I've been coming down to this are for well over 50 years on and off. Some very happy times, lots of memories to stir the emotions. Simpler times for sure , but always a place to override any worries or stress that might be lurking. Constantine is a beautiful beach with gently shelving soft pale sands as well as an abundance of rock pools to explore. Saint Constantine was a 6th-century Cornish saint from whom the beach takes its name. Separated from its neighbour, Booby's Bay, to the north, by a thin rocky point, whilst Constantine Bay is bordered by a large rocky reef to the south and backed by a network of sand dunes. We continue along the beach through to Boobys Bay. Named after the Seabird rather than anything more erotic.   


Trevose Head Lighthouse

We walk as far as Trevose Head where the Lighthouse standing at 27 m (89 ft) stands proud. Built in 1847 it was automated in 1995. Memories of the haunting fog horn come flooding back.The flashing beam of light that carried for some 20 miles. The nights listening from the safety of the caravan at Treyarnon Bay, conjuring up all sorts of images and scenarios on the high seas. 

Dinas Head

 This is as far as we are going today, heading North at least. There have been some great bird sightings too.A real pleasure to see a family of three Chough's on the Rocks. Similar to a Crow it has a Red beak and legs. They were virtually wiped out in Cornwall at one stage. A conservation project has seen the number of birds rise to around 200. Unfortunately I didn't get an elusive photo. A Gannet also flew across the sea, distinctive with the large black tipped wings and yellowish head. Down amongst the rock pools a 'Whimbrel' was strutting around looking for food. Out of nowhere a Kestrel hits the ground next to me, spreading wings to cover their prey. Almost immediately it takes off again, a mouse type creature in its clutches. We make our way back across the Bay's and to the headland. We are walking towards Treyarnon Bay, something of a spiritual home for me. 

Looking back on Constantine

Bench dedicated to Jeffery Old

There are some lovely memorial benches looking out to sea. Dedicated to those who also loved this stretch of coast. A lovely way to mark their passing and remember the person. One name is very familiar, for a moment I am transported back to childhood. I remember Jeffery Old, a lovely chap. (1940 -2013). He lived in the farmhouse along the lane, by the small caravan site we always stayed on. He often wandered into the site, not surprising really as I think he owned it. What I remember most though is his Bull.It would be housed in a barn close to the road and scared me to death... Perhaps the most famous bench is the 'Old Rusty Bench'. It has been there for decades, standing up to all the sea and weather can throw at it.I start to think about all the people who would have sat there over the years. This is a bench of happy memories and stories I hope it never gets replaced. 

 

The Rusty Old Bench

Slightly further on, the natural swimming pool has revealed itself now the tide has retreated. It gets totally refreshed with every high tide. Doesn't look so big from up here or as deep. I remember like it was yesterday swimming across it to win a 50p bet. A lot of money back then, enough to buy copes of 'Shoot' and 'Scoop' magazines. Probably enough change for some chocolates or sweets too back then. I'm not sure that I could meet the sane challenge today? I was always fascinated by the grand houses up on the hill looking down across the beach. I always dreamed of living somewhere like that. I don't mind which one , anyone would do. I was told that the big one was owned by someone from Northampton.Sadly not someone I knew.

Would you believe it the sun is trying t break through.Perfect timing for a beer at the Treyarnon Bay Hotel Bar. Had some great times in there over the years. Except the Hotel is no longer there, raised to the ground several years ago for luxury flats. Instead we wander into the Youth Hostel which seems to be doing a good trade. For some reason I order a Cider? Not something I usually drink, maybe the nostalgia has overwhelmed me? I manage to put my elbow in something sticky on the picnic table. This brings me back to reality as I frantically try to repair my brand new sweatshirt. Reassuringly the old car park shop is still there! I understand the previous owners only moved out recently after over 30 years of service. It was a real treat to spend my pocket money in there on flags, transfers and best of all model airplanes. It seems much smaller than I remember , a bit like the swimming pool in the rocks. Perhaps everything was bigger back then?

Treyarnon Bay

 


We sit on the beach for a while, my soaked elbow drying nicely in the weak sunshine. It is very pleasant, a Rock Pipit is busy up and down the rocks, disappearing at will into the smallest of cracks. Once the sun goes in and the wind gets up it is time to move on. Not before a quick look at the old Caravan site though. The path from the beach is much more overgrown. Over on the right the imposing sand dunes of my childhood are all but gone.   The gap in the hedge is still there though. As is the very useful water tap. Although it now lays redundant. How do people wash the sand from there toes these days? The caravans are far more modern these days. The spot we always had is still exactly the same but the Caravan we would rent from Mrs Teagle is long gone.

Saying goodbye to Treyarnon we make or way back towards Constantine. We cut up through the Treyarnon Bay Car Park. Moving through the much larger Caravan Park. I walk that I have done countless times. It seemed strange to see the same Telephone Box by the wall, shaded by Tamarisk. This was our contact with home of course, got to go I can hear the pips! I suddenly had a thought, what If we can't get out the other end? A swing gate was previously in place. Sure enough things have changed. It has gone electronic with a big gate for cars to come through. There is a gate for pedestrians but a PIN code is needed. Thankfully a lady was coming back from the stores and let us through. It has been a fantastic walk, the feeling of belonging almost overwhelming at times. In total 7.72 miles walked. Just a case now of waiting for that number 56 Bus.    


  








No comments:

Post a Comment

The John Bunyan Trail (1) Barton Le Clay & Hexton

Exciting times! The start of a new long distance path 'The John Bunyan Trail'. A 124 km/77 mile walk dedicated to the Puritan Evange...