Tuesday 26 January 2010

Live Bands 2009 - Delain/Sonata Arctica JB's Dudley 6/12

Tony Kakko - Sonata Arctica

Marko - Sonata Arctica

Ewout

Tony

Ewout

Charlotte - Awesome

Ewout Pieters

Ewout & Charlotte

Charlotte Wessells

Another new venue for me and two bands that i'd never seen live before. It promised to be an interesting experience.
I had only recently become aware of Delain. It seemed to be a case that whenever I spoke to rock fans at gigs about favourite bands they would all say 'have you heard Delain, really good band'. So I checked our some tracks from the first album Lucidity and the recently released April Rain.
I have to day the first impression was fantastic , I loved all the tracks and Charlotte Wessells has a fantastic voice. On several of the tracks she is backed by Marco from Nightwish which gives a wonderful contrast of grace and power.
Judging by this performance Delain will not be a support act for too much longer. Unfortunately they were restricted to a 35 minute slot. The only disappointment being the non inclusion of April Rain for whatever reason. I have since spoken to new guitarist Ewout Pieters who admitted that he to was surprised that it was not on the set list. However he did say that it would next time definitely.

It was obvious from looking at the audience that many had come just to see Delain. They put on a wonderful show in the limited time available, 'Invidia', 'The Gathering' and Stay Forever' being my personal highlights. I can't wait to see Delain again, unfortunately that won't be until 2011 as i'm on holiday in March when they tour again. Then they will be in the process of writing the new album.

I had no idea what to expect from Sonata Arctica? Yes they were Finnish and a lot of Nightwish fans followed them so that was hopeful. I new virtually none of the songs which from my experience is never good at a gig.
I need not have worried Sonata Arctica were awesome. Front man Tony Kakko has a marvellously distinctive voice that I really liked. Tracks such as 'Flag in the Ground', 'Full Moon' and 'don't say a Word' really felt like i'd known them for years. Another highlight had to be the amazing duet between Tony and Charlotte and the beautiful 'Last Drop Falls'- Just amazing.

Since the gig Sonata Arctica must be the most played band on my Ipod as i've caught up with their back catalogue. A great band with a loyal following and can't wait to see them again.

Set List
  • Intro Everything Fades to Gray
  • Flag int the Ground
  • Paid in Full
  • Caleb
  • The Last Amazing Grays
  • As if the World Wasn't ending
  • Full Moon
  • Last Drop Falls - Duet with Charlotte Wessells
  • Juliet
  • Keyboard/Guitar solos
  • Replica
  • 8th Commandment
Encore
  • We will Rock You ( Queen Cover)
  • In Black and White
  • Don't say a Word
  • Vodka (Hava Nagila)
  • Outro Everything Fades to Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...