Saturday 23 January 2010

Live Bands 2009 - Pythia Norwich B2 4/10


PJA & Ross

PJA & Emily

Emily & Andy

Emily in full cry



I'm not entirely sure how I first heard about Pythia? I think it must have been a posting on the NW-UK Forum. Most likely from Tom Livermore who also seems to be ahead of the game when it comes to new bands. Anyway it matters not because after listing and watching the video to 'Sarah' (Bury Her) I was hooked. The debut album 'Beneath the Veiled Embrace' was released on 12th October 2009.
It has to go down as one of the best debut albums I have ever heard.

Pythia are fronted the multi talented
Mediaeval Babe, Emily Alice Ovenden. Backed with twin guitars of Ross White and Tim Neale moving from crunching riffs to power metal speed, topped off with a symphonic backing and Emily Alice's soaring soprano voice. Awesome!! I decided I had to see Pythia as soon as possible. I managed to combine the Norwich trip with a visit to Blakeney Point for some bird and seal watching before heading up coast to the gig. I think that originally there were four bands due to perform, but for whatever reason Apparition didn't show. The other bands Hand and Crimson Tears were ok but not really my thing. Pythia came on stage about 10.PM in full medieval costume. Emily immediately got the small crowd going by encouraging everyone to move closer down to the stage. I have to say it was a stunning performance in a small venue on a Sunday night in front of a small crowd. You have to give Pythia enormous credit because they had the option of pulling out due to poor tickets sales. But they decided to go with it and really rocked the place and gained a lot of new fans. I met all the band afterwards who were absolutely great. This is one band who have a massive future and deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...