Monday 25 January 2010

Live Bands 2009 - Dragonforce Wolverhampton 26/11

Joakim Brodén - Sabaton

Herman & Sam



Guitar Genius Herman Li

ZP Theart



The rumour going around was that this was to be the last Dragonforce tour for a while. With the band taking a break in 2010 after constant touring for the last few years.
That being the case there was no way I was going to miss this opportunity! It is strange Dragonforce are one of those bands that i've never got that involved with. Not that I dislike the music, far from it in fact. Just that for whatever reason I had never got round to seeing them live.
Even more so considering I met Drummer Dave Mackintosh some years back at a Drumfest in Northampton where he was performing. He was brilliant to talk to and I have followed his progress mainly through things like Facebook .

Before Dragonforce it was Sabaton from Sweden. It seemed that they already had a few fans in the audience judging by the Tshirts. I have to say i really enjoyed their set. Charisimatic lead singer Jaochim
Broden got the crowd going and the place was rocking early. Many of the songs contain lyrics based on historic wars. Overall I was impressed a really good support band.

Then it was time for Dragonforce - I kind of new what to expect, but multiply it by a hundred and you are nearer !! Formed in 1999. They are known for fast guitar solos, fantasy-based lyrics, and electronic sounds in their music to add to their retro video game influenced sound.
They performed an extremely powerful set based on the twin lead guitarists and a thumping bass. I have to say that for me Herman Li steals the show. I found the constant posturing and facial expressions from the other guitarist Sam Totman a bit tiresome after a while though. Singer ZP Theart has a great voice and enjoyed winding up the crowd. Another gig that I really enjoyed. Set List
  • Heroes Of Our Time
  • Operation Ground and Pound
  • Reasons to Live
  • Fury of the Storm
  • The Warrior Inside
  • Keyboard Solo
  • Revolution Deathsquad
  • Soldiers of the Wasteland
  • The Last Journey Home
Encore
  • Valley of the Damned
  • Through the Fire and Flames

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...