Monday 31 January 2022

Clipston Circular walk via Sibbertoft

Flying solo today, the usual walking buddies all busy doing other things. The walk follows on from the one I did a couple of weeks ago around Naseby. That particular walk wasn't blogged as the weather was so misty.Not to worry though, I will do it again at some stage with pictures you can actually see. 

Parked up close to the village pub and near to the village Green, I take a bit of a wander into the village. As you might imagine there are many links to the Battle of Naseby. 

On the right hand side is the old Free Grammar School and Hospital. I'm heading down towards the church when I spot a group of Ramblers coming from the opposite direction. I detour into All Saints Church, which is locked but I do pick up a copy of the 'Jack Dee' autobiography from a box in the porch. Is it called a Vestry? Or is it a Vestibule? I'm not really sure at all, somebody more ecclesiastical will know I'm sure. Amazingly spell checker has not flagged up on the 'e' word. 

It is safe to venture out again as the Ramblers have reached the top of the High Street.    


All Saints Church Clipston

Re-tracing my route I pass the War Memorial and pick up the footpath on the other side of the road. The path is a narrow alley way leading to Chapel Lane. There is a lot of Goldfinch activity on the Ivy bushes nearby.    

There is a large Baptist Chapel on Chapel Lane. It's great how these things come together isn't it! Dating back to 1803 it is an impressive if somewhat spooky looking building.

The Ramblers are gathered outside too, this is going to be awkward.... I have nothing whatsoever against Ramblers let me state that here and now. I just don't like to be organised,preferring to do my own thing in my own time. I manage to get a photo and avoid getting signed up for all sorts, moving on swiftly. Heading out of the village there is a nice sign informing visitors that they have arrived in Clipston.    


Leaving the village behind I pick up a footpath on the right hand side of the road. It leads to open fields and an uphill climb, the views are superb but it is very blustery.

My progress comes to an abrupt halt ... the narrow gap through the hedgerows is pretty much a swamp. I hear voices behind , It's only the Ramblers again who have somehow caught me up. I've got to go for it now, no choice but to hang on to the edge of the hedge and navigate the least deep part of the quagmire. Showing some amazing dexterity I pull it off with minimal mud impact.Scampering off like the wily old Fox I leave the pursuers behind to work out their own way of getting through. I wounder what the collective noun for a group of Ramblers is? A 'Ramble' perhaps? or maybe a 'Rambling'? Today I'm going with an 'Annoyance'. 



     









Officially called Royal Observer Corps (ROC) Monitoring Posts,or under a ramshackle pile of bricks lies a Cold War nuclear bunker. A 14-foot-deep access shaft, a toilet/store and a monitoring room.The posts were constructed as a result of the Corps' nuclear reporting role and operated by volunteers during the Cold War between 1955 and 1991. I wasn't supposed to go in the field but climbed the gate for a closer look. 

Climbing back over the barbed wire fence I find a Bank Debit card on the verge. Closer inspection reveals that it is actually mine. Must have fallen out of my phone case as I climbed over. 

Back on the safety of the road I spot some clumps of Snowdrops, the first I have seen this year. It's a short bit of road walking and very pleasant. A couple of other walkers pass by coming from the other direction. There is a footpath on the right which leads to 'Marston Trussell' which I always think sound like a great place to visit. I will add it to the list! 

I'm looking for the 'Jurassic Way signpost which isn't far way. I take the left hand route and it is back across open fields and some very inquisitive sheep. There are a couple of stiles to overcome and then an uphill climb into the woods. 


              










The scenery is absolutely beautiful around here. Nice just to take a few minutes and listen to the birds. There is a lot of bird activity, I manage to see a lot of the usual suspects, along with a pair of Goldcrest's and a Great Spotted Woodpecker.

There is supposed to be a diagonal path across the next field but I can't see it . I follow the edge of the field instead around an area showing as 'The Coombes' on my map.  It looks like it was a quarry at some stage perhaps?


Funnily enough, after the long walk to the next stile the path becomes quite clear looking back.

The next part of the walk is quite tricky, as once again the paths are not particularly clear. A little bit of trial and error and a slight false start but not too bad really. I manage to navigate myself back to the road via a little footbridge though. As regular readers will know I do like a footbridge. 

From the road it is just a short walk into the village of Sibbertoft.   On the right hand side is the Grade II listed St Helen's Church. There was presumably a church at Sibbertoft by 1086 as the Domesday Book has a priest living there.

It is going to be all road now all the way back to Clipston. 




There isn't a great deal of interest to report on the road journey back to the starting point. However my keen eye spots an interesting looking building on the left. It is the site of Sibbertoft Manor which is now a Nursing or Care home. The building dates back to Georgian times.

A very enjoyable walk with some great countryside. The road part at the end was a bit tough on the feet but a good 7.4 miles completed.


























No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...