Sunday 11 April 2021

Quinton, Piddington, Horton and Hackleton circular Walk



Starting point today is St John the Baptist Church in the the village of Quinton. It is based on the route listed on the Northamptonshire Walks website. I tend to go off on a tangent and more often than not get a bit lost too. 

The footpath is just out of the village and runs parallels to the road. It is very quiet until out of nowhere an errant dog comes charging over and jumping up at me. Thankfully the walking trousers are not clean on today. I manage to get hold of the lead and hand the energetic hound back to a grateful owner. At the T junction I follow the path towards Park Farm.  

It didn't take me long to get off the marked track, however I was able to pick up the Midshires Way and correct myself. In the distance I could see the Church at Piddington so I kept heading East. 

Eventually the path passes through a farm and then exits into a lane in the village of Piddington. There seems to be a tank parked in the drive of one of the houses. Not something you tend to see on a walk really. The lane winds down to the village pub ' The Spread Eagle'. Not a place I have fond memories of ... Almost opposite is the bridleway.

 



 This part of the walk is very exposed, thankfully the weather although chilly is dry. This is actually part of the Northampton Round Footpath.You can't go far wrong her and the path takes you into the next port of call 'Horton'. On the bend I spot my old nemesis the Police 'Speed camera van'. It was this very spot some years ago that I was trapped. Yes I still feel bitter about it to this day! A bit of walking on the path now rounding the bend towards Brafield. the next Bridleway is located on the left hand side.


It's a lovely open stretch of countryside once again, very peaceful with nobody else about. The only noise is from the Skylarks who are in good voice overhead. 

The exit lies in the corner and a nice little stile/bridge which is re-assuring to find. I have now arrived in the next village 'Hackleton'. The path is a little tricky to find as it is over the road and runs between houses and the Village Hall. 

The path winds it's way back up to 'Piddington' and emerges into a housing area. Just out of the close I can see the Church and the next part of the walk. But the priority is a spot of lunch and a drink both of which I have brought with me. 

Suitably refreshed I continue past the splendid looking  Parish Church of St John the Baptist.Built in about 1290, although it is believed that there may have been a place of worship on this site prior to that date. There are some wonderful barn conversions here too, I complimented one gentleman on his beautifully maintained garden. He seemed to appreciate the encouragement from a fellow gardener.  
 

The tower rising to a spire was rebuilt following a rate levy in the Parish in 1847 and on the east face of the tower is the church clock, more than a 100 years old, believed to have been made by Dent and Co., who manufactured "Big Ben" From here there is access to a number of country paths to explore.


This is my favourite part of the walk, the countryside is beautiful with the yellow of the oil seed rape just coming out.

Thankfully the paths are very well marked for the majority of the walk. A lot of it depends on the Farmer as to well they are defined. To me it makes sense to clearly establish the footpaths so that responsible walkers can keep to them. The path eventually takes me back to the path that I picked up after leaving Quinton at the start.

It has been a cracking little walk and comes in at exactly 8.4miles. Probably a shade more than if I hadn't gone wrong early on in the walk.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...