Thursday 11 March 2021

Church Brampton, Holdenby and Lower Harlestone Walk

This particular walk was never really intended to be recorded on the blog. What started out as just a gentle leg stretching exercise turned into a full blown walk. After the 28 mile bike ride of the previous day some gentle exercise was definitely needed.  

The walk was so enjoyable and uplifting that I feel compelled to write a few words about it!

It started off in the village of Church Brampton , just behind the church. I walked up the short incline passing the Riding Stables to pick up the footpath. that leads up towards Brampton Hill. Somewhere I have walked recently on the Brixworth and Chapel Brampton Walk. Here the footpath snakes off in three directions. I take the first option before turning right again towards Sanders Covert on my right hand side. 

 

The path continues to 'Cank Farm' where there is a right of way between the buildings. Continuing on uphill there is then a long path that leads across fields to the village of Holdenby. Famous of course for having the Church that lost its village. I'm sure I've written in more detail about that in a previous blog. From Holdenby I wanted to find a different route that I have used in two previous walks in that area. This involved turning left rather than continuing down towards the church. A gated footpath took me across a field down a lane towards Coneybury Hill. This then took me past Holdenby South Lodge. 

The path to Holdenby

The Old School in Holdenby


The lane continues downhill until it finally crosses a free flowing stream. An uphill stretch then to a railway bridge which leads to Glebe Farm. It is just a case of following the bridleway past the buildings on the left and up to the A428 again.

The footpath continues directly on the other side of the road onto the Golf Course at Harlestone. I actually found 13 golf balls in very good condition on this stretch. Some were standing proud on the Fairway like mushrooms. They soon went in the pocket I can tell you. I was also grateful for bringing the binoculars as I also saw a Muntjac Deer too. 

The path continued past the Church and school winding round another stream. The path then lead up to a large lake by the Golf Course. i remember walking around here many years ago when I lived in Duston.It is a beautiful sight, particularly on a sunny day. There is then a wooded area that was already smelling strongly of wild garlic. 

 


The are some hills and hollows too, some sort of earthworks probably. Once again you guessed it I have to cross the A428.Taking the bridleway located just past the Fox and Hounds pub in Lower Harlestone. This takes me as far as the railway line and into Fox covert.

There are two paths in the covert and I went left which was slightly the longer. The left hand route would have taken me directly towards the club house and the exit. Instead I had to navigate myself across various fairways. It didn't matter too much as the course was deserted anyway with the Covid restrictions. 

I emerged eventually in the lane that runs between the course and the driving range. It was just a case then of following this lane (Golf Lane) back to the main road. There were some stunning properties situated here. Some were absolute mansions.

Crossing the road and the short passage took me back to the car. It was a fantastic walk and came in at around 8.5 miles. I messed up the data recording  and chopped off the last mile or so..



No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...