Monday 12 November 2012

Nightwish - Birmingham Academy

Floor Jansen
Despite all the rave reviews about the 'stand in' singer Floor Jansen (Currently Revamp and ex After Forever singer) I was still apprehensive - I needn't have worried. Anybody watching would have thought she had been in the band for years such was her powerful performance. She fitted in perfectly and added a dimension that has long been lacking since Tarja Turunen left. But I am not about to re-open that debate again. Instead I will celebrate what was a fantastic night and restored my faith in Nightwish.
Peter Tagtgren of Pain
Tuomas Holopainen
Supporting Nightwish were fellow Finns Pain. They went down very well and singer guitarist Peter Tagtgren managed to play in a straight-jacket which isn't something you see every day. It was a good set list and longer than you normally see. It was a very different start to the big arena shows I saw back in April without the dramatic opening and the pyros but it didn't really matter. We lost a few tracks from Imaginaerum but gained a couple of favourites in 'Dark Chest of Wonders' and 'Ever Dream'.Not to mention a brilliant version of the epic Ghost Love Score that I feared I would never hear again.

Marco Hietala
Pipe Master Troy Donockley
With Luke Hendry





Marina & Nikki at the front
 It was lovely to catch up with many fans who I speak to over Facebook and rarely get to see.

Nightwish are probably even better as a live band than they are recording band which is still excellent and I think that the set list was better balanced this time. As much as I love the cover of the Gary Moore classic 'Over the Hills and Far Away;' I am always left with a tint of disappointment that the solo doesn't come close to the original which makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.  
Thirsty work for Tuomas
There was a lot of interaction with the crowd and I think the look on Tuomas’s face when the crowd responded showed just how proud he was and how far the band have come.

Full Set List 
  • Storytime 
  • Dark Chest Of Wonders
  • Wish I Had An Angel
  • Amaranth
  • The Siren 
  • Slow, Love, Slow
  • I Want My Tears Back
  • The Islander
  • Nemo (Acoustic)
  • Last Of The Wilds
  • Planet Hell 
  • Ghost River
  • Ever Dream 
  • Over The Hills And Far Away
  • Ghost Love Score
  • Last Ride Of The Day

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...