Friday 22 January 2021

Mears Ashby and Sywell Walk

 


Today's Route

It was a bit of an afterthought to go out today in all honesty. The rain has been horrendous the last week and a lot of areas are flooded. However the rain was forecast to stop late morning and we were promised sunshine!

Starting from the village of Mears Ashby I walked across fields that took me to the car park at Sywell Reservoir. A few cars had started to gather but generally pretty quiet which was what I had hoped for. I try to avoid 'beauty spots' where everybody tends to make their destination if they want a walk. Especially in these times of Lockdown and social isolation it makes sense to avoid as much as possible. 

It isn't my intention to do a complete lap of the water anyway today. Looking at the map I can exit and head up to Sywell. The good thing I suppose about the Reservoir is that there is a hard surface all the way round. I recently cycled around Pitsford Reservoir and it was a nightmare. Both myself and the bike had to be hosed down afterwards..

A lot of bird life around today , mainly Blue and Great Tits gourging on the feeders. Although I did see a lovely Nuthatch on on of the feeding tables. 

As I had hoped I was able to leave the Reservoir and make the journey uphill on the verge of the road to Sywell. It was sad to see more rubbish dumped in the ditches. Lots of cans and bottles and the obligatory McDonald's items.  All thrown gratuitously from the car window no doubt. In Sywell I picked up a footpath that leads all the way back to Mears Ashby across the fields.

It is very pleasant actually and feels quite remote hit really isn't. I haven't taken many photos because I wasn't really planning  to blog the walk. 

Arriving back in Mears Ashby I have the choice of going back to the car or extending the walk. As I'm now on part of the 'Northampton Round' I carry on.  This part is on the road and continues past the Beckworth Emporium which looking at the car park is not busy.There is then a long path across fields that leads back to the heart of the village. Unfortunately these fields were very waterlogged in places. A nice little walk though nevertheless.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...