Tuesday 26 January 2021

Great Houghton and Hackleton Walk


Today's Route

 Another hastily put together route from the trusty Ordnance Survey Map. Not really wanting to drive too far the starting point was the sports ground at Great Houghton. I has completely forgotten that I had played football here so many times in the 80's and early 90's for 'Houghton Lions'. After a brief nostalgic trip down memory lane it was time to go. Heading up the lane in search of a footpath   all being well. 

It didn't take long to find it, and as I suspected it involved a long walk across a muddy field. Not many features to enjoy just lots of mud really I think over the past few months I've become a bit of a mud connoisseur of sorts. This offering was what I would describe as 'tacky'. Not boggy or 'Cleggy' but enough to slow you down. Atleast it wasn't the sort that creates 'Hobbit feet'.

Having conquered the first large field I came to a stile. The first of may I was to discover today. Low and behold the stile leads to another muddy field very much of the same ilk as it's predecessor.   

 At least the footpath was clearly marked out, or at least it was until it reached a telegraph pole in the middle of the field. Thereafter it stopped, just at a time when it was most needed. There was a large farm to the right and I always have this fear of a farmer coming out with a shotgun shouting'oi get orf my land'. Or words to that effect at least. Taking on a stealth type mode I made my way to the edge of the field. No footpath sign or trail to be seen, just some barbed wire and electric fence which wasn't entirely welcoming.  At last a path of sorts could be seen over a hedge, taking a bit of a gamble I climbed over and followed it. At least according to my Strava app I was going in the right direction. With some relief I excited onto the Newport Pagnell Road that leads to Hackleton. 

It' a short walk along the road and I'm pleased to see the footpath sign just past the school. The path leads up through the playing field up to open fields. From here it is not entirely clear where the path then goes, if indeed there is one. 

I know it is straight ahead so follow the edge of the field on what is a narrow piece of verge next to a deep ditch with flowing water. About half way up I notice a fence marker the other side of the ditch on the opposite edge. Clearly I was in the wrong place... Time to play 'jump the ditch'. I just about made the leap of faith without sliding back down into the water. A quick dash across the field and I was back in pole position again. 

There is always something very satisfying about knowing that you are in the right place on the map. 


There is now a long straight that will take me very close to the Northampton International Stadium near Brafield. The stadium is mainly used for Stock Cars, Banger Racing and Hot Rods.

I was quietly walking along the hedge line when a Fox strolled along right in front of me. Couldn't have been more than 20 yards away. Very quietly I followed to where I saw him go into the hedge. By the time I had got my camera out he was already halfway through the field and then on to the next one. I could still see him in the distance heading for a spinney. It was a wonderful sight.


 

Turning left there is a lovely long stretch of the walk that runs parallel to the old disused railway line. I could walk either side really but stick to the footpath. It's not difficult to imagine where the trains would once have gone through on the old Northampton to Bedford line. There are a number of stiles to negotiate, not to mention the sheep. There always seems to be one who wants to make a name for himself and challenge you. 

Another left turn and we are on the return leg back towards Great Houghton. The wind is very fresh and it feels more upon in this elevated position. There are some great views looking down right across the to the town. 

There are some tricky old stiles to negotiate here too. Starting with the high one, the uneven one before we we encounter the tricky 'double stile' It is a bit like the Grand National with all the obstacles. The final test is the steepest of the lot like a ladder. After the descent there is then a muddy bog of water to negotiate, all good fun of course.

 

The Double Stile'

The Ladder and muddy descent stile'

Of course the muddiest part of the walk has been saved for the very last field into Great Houghton. All the good work clearing the boots is undone very quickly. It has been a very pleasant walk out on a not particularly nice day. In total I have seen about four other people! 

 










No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...