Wednesday 21 July 2010

Catching up with old friends






It was to be the first time I had re-visited the Badger Setts over at the Woods near Weedon in Northamptonshire.
Many times last year I had witnessed at such close quarters upwards of twelve badgers at any one time venturing out from their underground hideaways.
So it was was with a sense of trepidation that I set off hoping that for whatever reason they had not deserted the setts for a new location.

If you read my post from last year you may recall that I was amazed that the Badgers were happy to come out in early evening rather than wait for night to fall.

So I arrived at the destination about 7 PM - Sprinkled liberal amounts of peanuts (not salted) and strategically spread some Peanut butter on some old tree stumps.

Then it was a case of getting settled in the undergrowth keeping quiet and as still as possible and waiting. Fortunately my favourite watching spot was 'upwind' which is also an advantage as the Badgers have amazing sense of smell to compensate for such poor eyesight.

Nothing stirred from the Setts for well over an hour, however I did see a Muncjac Deer foraging, Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Treecreeper, numerous Squirrels and a Fox.
Not to mention scaring a passing Mountain Biker so much that he almost fell off his bike !!
Eventually my patience was rewarded and I saw the familiar black and white markings emerge just as the light was beginning to fade. It was just like old times except there were three beautiful cubs who were very adventurous. The slightest unknown noise and they all bolt down back into the setts . It's only a minute or so before they tentatively make their way back out again.
It was fantastic to see them again and I look forward to many more visits over the coming weeks.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome pictures!
    We got this animal in Sweden to.
    But here we call them Gravlingar!
    Do you eat them in England? ;-)
    We did in Sweden, during World War II.
    Instead of making war perhaps ..? ;-)
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You - They certainly were eaten in the UK in WW II (Like many other poor creatures). The trend of eating badgers died out in the 1950's.
    I'm off to se Marillion tonight so more pics to come hopefully. Are you on FB ?

    Cheers and have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I'm not.

    Marillion have never been a favorite-band of mine, I prefer Magnum. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...