Tuesday 9 February 2010

Early Morning Swim

Inside the Mounts Baths


Since my back operation in April 2007 I have found swimming to be a great help to reduce the stiffness that builds up.
I like to get down to the Mounts Baths in Northampton as soon as it opens to the public at 7 AM. Which is easier said than done a lot of the time, especially in the Winter.
It is nice because you tend to see the same faces each time.

I am not a natural swimmer by an means but have managed to build up to doing 36 lengths of front crawl. This is just over half a mile in distance.

The pool itself cost approximately £52,000 to build in 1936 and is believed to be the only Art Deco swimming pool in the country. The baths were built on the site of the town's old prison.

I have to say I really prefer these old Baths to the modern day Leisure Centre Pools that have no character and are not designed for 'up and down' swimming.

2 comments:

  1. like the look of them baths Peter but your not the only baths like that. We have a nice 1930's deco style baths near us (http://www.flickr.com/photos/heliophile/2075249639) but the council refused to spend money on the constant repair to the ornate roof so now it's been closed to the public and a new baths had been built with the old one due for demolition due to health and safety. I haven't been to the new one yet, the old one had such a nice feel about it that the new one will lack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funnily enough Marina said straight away that there was one in Manchester ?
    How she knew that i'll never know ??

    ReplyDelete

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...