Sunday 19 February 2023

Broughton and Pytchley Triangular Walk

  

A hastily marked out route to occupy a couple of hours on Saturday morning. Not quite followed to the letter, but then that's half the fun sometimes. Starting point for this shortish walk is the Church of St Andrew at Broughton.  The village is around 2 miles (3.2 km) south-west of Kettering, and bypassed by the A43.  The broad spired church is mostly early 14th century. I always like to park near a church for two reasons. There is generally somewhere to park without upsetting anybody. Secondly it provides a bearing or reference point on the landscape and map. My intention was to take the path to Kettering and 'Broughton Grange' However things don't always go according to plan. My eyes lit up at the first Bridleway sign and off I went. What I should have done of course was continue past the Village Hall, past the cemetery and through the gates to the track... It didn't matter too much I would just do the walk in reverse.    

By now I have worked out that I am on the way to Pytchley. Not to Broughton Grange as originally planned. The sun has also broken through which is good. There are lots of signs of Badgers digging, the setts look active too. There are some lovely views across to Kettering and looking back towards Broughton.There is as always the obligatory Red Kite circling overhead. A bit of cunning map work is  required upon reaching Pytchley. A bit of road walking is required to get me back on track. 

   

Leaving the road and It's a downhill course all the way towards the A14.  It's quite nice cutting across two fields with the busy road ahead. A sort of 'Ying and Yang' effect. It is then literally a case of walking around the back of the Service Station, and Coffee Shop. It's not very pretty I must admit... Cars are then literally racing past within about 5 yards of the path that has the driving range at Kettering Golf Course on the other side.

Over a stile and then it is a bit of an upward hike on the road that leads to Broughton Grange. There are a few buildings which you have to cut trough to pick up the path. A good spot for a photo! As I walked a bit further I decided to take another. After some frantic searching of multiple pockets, it became clear that the phone and myself had become detached. I retraced my steps in some haste and thankfully found the phone unscathed on the verge. On the verge of what I'm not quite sure?

The path back to Broughton is not a right of way but is recognised locally as a path to Kettering. It has been suggested that this was once a right of way and I believe there was an attempt to have its right of way status (re)established. However, it is not currently an official right of way.

The path ends at the gates close to Broughton. I continue on past the playing fields and the cemetery. A short cut back to the starting point through the Church of St Andrew is taken. 
In terms of wildlife spotting it has been a bit disappointing. Always seems to be the case when I remember to take the binoculars. Nevertheless an enjoyable enough walk. A total distance of just over five and a half miles.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stillmarillion - The 'Y' Theatre Leicester

  It is a great relief to be blogging again. Apologies for the gap. Two recent operations have seen me cancel several events I would normall...