Tuesday 15 November 2022

Puerto Rico - Gran Canaria Dolphin Cruise

A life on the Ocean Waves
I took a bit of persuading to partake in a boat trip, given my usual seas sickness issues. I was also debating hiring an electric bike and going off exploring in the mountains. On balance  it was decided that the sea trip would be the safest option in the long run. We were picked up close to our hotel at 9:15 AM.A 20 minute journey took an hour longer due to all the other pick-ups along the way.Of course there there is always one place where the participants have not arrived.. so we play the waiting game. Eventually they stroll out and get on the coach. No apologies , I resist the urge to make a comment....

I was already feeling ill before getting off the coach. We aren't doing this again, we'll get a Taxi home I murmured. I was feeling glad though that we had opted for the 2 hour cruise and not the 3 hour version. The harbour at Puerto Rico is Spain's sailing Mecca. There are options of Glass Bottomed Boats, Catamarans, Speed boats, Luxury Cruisers with a Captain, Deep Sea Sport Fishing and even a Yellow Submarine. Our vessel looks comparatively tame thankfully. We manage to clamber on board and get a seat on the top deck. Over the tannoy a crew member tells us in several different languages not to be sick in the toilets. Bags are available upon request for that sort of thing.In the next breath she advises that chocolates, crisps, cakes and alcoholic beverages are available for purchase down below. Talk about asking for trouble! I for one won't be indulging in such fayre.


We've been going out for miles and every ripple of the waves brings hope of a Dolphin. We might even see a Whale too of we are really lucky. The crew are very active with their binoculars, although all we have seen so far are other boats.' Don't worry' says a cheery chap from Essex sitting next to me. I notice he has already started on the Heineken.. 'If you don't see anything they promise another cruise for free;.. Oh great. I shall say I saw a tail or something just to avoid that scenario.   



Nobody on board is more actively searching for the elusive Dolphins than me. Suddenly a shout goes up that they have been spotted!! On the other side of the boat to where we are...For goodness sake don't all rush over or we might capsize is my only thought.. It seems that I'm the only one thinking like that though. 

 





Suddenly more Dolphins appear, there must be at least a dozen. Young ones too, what a sight as the follow along with the wake of our boat. These are Bottlenose Dolphins and seem very friendly and noted for being highly intelligent too.They can  reach a length of just over 4 meters (13 feet).  They can vary in colour too, from a light grey to almost black. Bottlenose dolphins can live for more than 40 years. Females tend to live 5–10 years longer than males, with some females reaching 60 years or more.  

I noticed a young girl with her head in a sick bag. I felt a bit smug in truth feeling perfectly fine. I think I had been so occupied looking for marine life that I forget all about being sick. A voice over the tannoy tells us to take our last photos as . we will be heading back to shore in the next few minutes. We say our farewells to the Dolphins, and settle back for hopefully a sedate cruise back the way we came. 

It has been surprisingly calm thankfully and a real pleasure to experience the Dolphins who looked so elegant and at peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stillmarillion - The 'Y' Theatre Leicester

  It is a great relief to be blogging again. Apologies for the gap. Two recent operations have seen me cancel several events I would normall...