Tuesday 13 September 2022

Stoke Albany and Brampton Ash Walk

A solo walk planned for today. Been a strange old week, things going wrong, not going to plan and then the extremely sad death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on Sept 8th at Balmoral Castle. I'm not the biggest Royalist, but do have a huge amount of respect, and admiration for what the Queen has done for Great Britain.

Today will be a good opportunity for some isolation, reflection and some calmness. It is a bit of a journey to get to the starting point at Stoke Albany. Which lies somewhere between Market Harborough and Corby. Parked up close to the 'White Horse' pub I set off following a route I sketched out on the O/S map. Not walked much in this area so should be interesting.If all goes to plan. Roughly about 12 miles I suspect. Today I shall be walking in an anti-clockwise direction.  

Fittingly as soon as I turn the corner I come across a monument to her majesty. Looks as though it was placed there to celebrate her 90th Birthday.  


I pas the Grade II listed parish Church of St Botolph as I leave the village. I'm looking for a footpath on the left which will take me close to the Golf Course. First there is a large field to negotiate with no obvious footpath. There is a Farmer in a Tractor trimming trees around the perimeter. I upset one the other day on what I thought was a Bridleway. He was quick to point out it was a private road. Nothing for it but to continue in a diagonal manner as it showed on the map. 

There looked like a few mushrooms to be picked too! Closer inspection revealed that they were actually golf balls. Very strange as there is no Fairway or Tee anywhere nearby. Perhaps they just have some very bad Gofers who play here? No sign of anyone, leave alone a Golfer since leaving the car! 

Weighed down by 14 newly acquired golf balls, I continued past the Club House (CH on the O/S Map).  


No sooner had I passed an abandoned shack in the field,the heavens opened. I actually heard it coming over the field. Then I saw it, and was powerless to avoid it. A thorough drenching ensued, by the time I reached the field edge it was too late. Shorts were saturated and the lightweight jacket was no proof against the rage of the storm. It got me thinking about when people in films and on TV get a soaking. They seem to dry out in minutes. This has never been my experience. I know full well my shorts will still be wet by the time I get home! 


Directions continue to be a problem. Where there is a marker post it seems to have collapsed. Looking at the map again it seems that I've got to go up the next ploughed field, which is rather steep... The views at the top are great though looking back towards Stoke Albany. It has brightened up a bit now, and the sun has come out. 

Following the field edge I come across a private grave site that has been fenced off. The saying at the bottom seems quite appropriate 'Right I Must get on'.

Although I have a dilemma..... There looks to be a lot of bad weather coming in my direction. I'm not entirely sure where exactly I am? I have an idea where I am , and know where I want to be. In the distance there is a sign, best to double check.

I now have options to cut short the walk. Ashley and Wilbarston would be good , but that is where the weather is coming from. Instead of going all the way towards Braybrooke I could cut a chunk out by going through Brampton Ash. Its a steep path down again (Midshires Way). There are warnings to beware of Badger setts. I can sense another downpour coming so find a suitable tree to shelter behind and opt for an early lunch. Sure enough it pours down again but I am out of the worst of it at least.   

After the rain, there will be sunshine
 

View from my shelter as the rain arrives

Crossing the A427 I head towards Brampton Ash. Just as I try to take a picture of the church my old adversaries appear. Showing far too much interest in me for my liking. I make a hasty retreat towards the gate , which in my panic I struggle to open.

I think that cows have now replaced horses as my number one Nemesis whilst out walking. I do find some real mushrooms though, definitely not golf balls. I see my first person of the day too. He isn't confident that the mushrooms are safe to eat though. However he did advise that there were bigger ones at the bottom of the field. Something to bear in mind if I'm feeling particularly brave though. I told him that all mushrooms are edible though! But some only once. He didn't seem to appreciate the humour in that statement.

I could have cut even more of the original route off if I had taken the footpath through 'Red Hovel'. I decided against this opting to follow the trusty road to where it meets up with the B576. The Macmillan Way seems to join up with the Jurassic way too.

It's another nice part of the walk as it passes the back of Hermitage Wood and through Brampton Wood. Finally climbing past the tip of Stokes Wood and back up into Stoke Albany.   

There are some tricky styles to negotiate though. One in particular is a death trap with two platforms slippery as a pair of eels. Two posts lull you into thinking they offer support and stability. In fact they are collapsible and I very nearly exit into the undergrowth. My knees are bad enough, and are refusing to go any further without a break. I sit in the sun and give the wet feet an airing. it's not as though anyone is going to see me around here. 

Death trap style

Shoes and socks safely back on dry feet the walk is completed. Not quite as planned but I'm nothing if not adaptable. 

In total the walk is coming in at a fraction over 9 miles, so not too bad. I've already earmarked another route, which will take in the missing part some time in the future.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stillmarillion - The 'Y' Theatre Leicester

  It is a great relief to be blogging again. Apologies for the gap. Two recent operations have seen me cancel several events I would normall...