Wednesday 18 August 2021

Sidmouth to Salcombe Mouth - South West Coastal Path

Where better to start a visit to East Devon than on the South West Coastal Path. We did have a brief wander around Sidmouth, our base for the next few days first.

 After taking in a pot of Peppermint tea at The Christian Bookshop we were ready for the off. Not very well prepared and a case of seeing how far we could get really. Ideally I would like to reach Salcombe mouth near Salcombe Regis and only reachable by footpaths. 

Sidmouth is the gateway to the Jurassic Coast World Heritage Site. Our walk starts at the mouth of the River Sid, between 'The Ham' and the cliff path.. We will be travelling in an easterly direction crossing the new footbridge that replaced the historic 100 year old Alma Bridge. 


 
Views of Sidmouth from Salcombe Hill

From the start it is a steep climb up numerous steps to reach Salcombe Hill. There is a bit of a detour through a residential area but the markings are very clear. It is a bit of a murky old day but the views are still spectacular as far down the coast to Budleigh Salterton.  

Close by was a Toposcope, a marker that details points of interest from where you are situated. I can't resist posing for a picture of course.   

We continue on towards Salcombe Mouth.


With the Toposcope

The beach looks a very long way down indeed. If we hadn't of spoken to a couple earlier I doubt I would have made the descent. However the lady in the partnership stated that she had made it down and back again. My wife on the other hand perhaps  wisely decided to stay at the top. I do like a challenge though!

The path is made up of many zig-zag steps  that finally wind down to the shingle beach. This is definitely going to test my dodgy knee for sure. Not forgetting that I have to come back up again....

Not surprisingly there are not many people around , only one other couple who I overtake, I hear them mention that I'm a man on a mission.(See the photo below left). Although It's down hill it is a real struggle and far from easy.

Finally I reach the bottom, some 149 steps!

That's me on the right by the hedge

Salcombe Mouth Beach

It is well worth the effort though and the beach is a haven of tranquility. A local man is tending to his boat and there are just a few others on the beach. Even the pebbles are glistening like gemstones. In the distance it is just possible to make out Beer and Seaton.   would like to spend more time down here just listening to the sea. Maybe another time, but those 149 steps won't climb themselves. 



 

Time to say farewell to the Red Cliffs and the shingle beach.Going back up the hill and the steps was as suspected more difficult. Mentally I break it down into segments of 24  steps and this seems to help. I even manage to put in a sprint finish nearing the end. Knowing full well that I was going to pay for it later on. 

After an emotional reunion we retrace our steps back to Sidmouth. This part of the South West Coastal path from Sidmouth to Branscombe is rated as 'difficult' a 4/5 on the scale even for experienced walkers. 

Today's walk has been a total of 3.19 miles but that doesn't tell the full story. A spectacular and really enjoyable walk. 
 


    


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...