Tuesday 18 August 2020

Paddleboarding (SUP) at Cransley Reservoir

When a friend of mine posted some pictures of himself Paddle-boarding I commented that It looked great fun. I also added that I would love to have a go at some stage in the future. Little did I expect him to invite me to join him a couple of days later!

I didn't have to think too long either.  It was another hot and sticky after of plus 30 degree heat and he was going  to pick me up.
The venue for the Paddle-boarding or (SUP - Stand Up Paddling) as it is also know was Cransley Reservoir.
Known locally as Three Chimneys is a lowland lake is situated in Cransley, near Kettering, Northamptonshire. 
constructed in the 1880’s to provide water for Kettering and Cransley furnaces.  It has been providing clean water for Kettering and Desborough for over 125 years. The reservoir is now privately owned and used by Cransley Sailing Club and covers approximately 75 acres .

It's only a short drive up the A43 and we have to unlock the gate at Cransley to get in. To my surprise there is nobody else on the water. 
We move further round the reservoir away from all the sailing boats to an area for Paddle-boarding.  

My friend sorts me out a board that he thinks will be suitable for the novice. I'm grateful to see that it is a little wider than his own. 
It is so hot and the water warm that only shorts and T shirts are required. Thankfully no wet suits.

He gives me some brief instructions before I am let loose. I start on my knees which is more comfortable than I expected. In fact I was more than happy to stay like that really.  


'Try standing' up I heard '...... 'Get in the starting position as though you are about to start a running race'. Even that is easier said than done... It is a massive leap of faith going from the comfort  and safety of being crouched on the board to standing up . 

But stand up I did , and stayed up. The board felt secure and didn't disappear from under me. In fact it all felt very secure and I made fairly sedate progress. 

It was a lovely feeling being out there with just the ripple of the water and the Canadian Geese for company. Perhaps I got a little too complacent as a wobble became a fully blown tumble. It was a shock to fall into the water but actually very refreshing in the humidity. The hardest part was getting back on the board from the water. The secret was to pull myself on gradually from the rear. 



Cransley Reservoir



 Once safely back on the board I managed a complete circuit of the still deserted reservoir. I even managed to pick up a bit of speed with the wind behind me. Going back against it was a completely different matter though and required some serious shoulder effort.
All was going very well until my friend shouted across ' Is that a Red Kite up there' ? ...  Once again my balance and concentration had gone and I ended  up in the wet stuff again. 
The secret it seems is not to look down or too far up , just focusing on the horizon at eye level.
It had been a great few hours , thoroughly enjoyable and something I can't  wait to have another go at.

Add caption
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...