Friday 1 September 2017

Glengorm Castle


The journey from Tobermory to Glengorm takes you through some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. Glengorm lies 4 miles north of Tobermory along another single track road and sits at the northernmost tip of the island looking over the Atlantic. 80 miles further north are the outer Hebrides, which miraculously appear on the horizon when there is a sunset.

  The view looking north across the water is of the peninsula of Ardnamurchan, the most westerly point in the British mainland and the mountainous island of Rhum. Low lying Coll with it's white sands can be seen to the west. Our spacious bedroom provided stunning panoramic views of all this as well as the Highland cattle which seem to roam free all over the estate. It really is the most perfect of settings and I sensed I was going to be most comfortable here.

After a quick bit of unpacking we made our way out into the fresh air for a walk down towards the sea. Once again the weather turned a bit nasty or 'dreich' as they say in these parts. 
Standing Stones near Glengorm
Highland ' Coos'

Glengorm Castle was completed in 1863by James Forsyth of Dunacht, Argyll. Work started in 1859when an Edinburgh architectural firm drew up the plans. Forsyth then evicted all of the estate tenants and burning down all the cottages. The smoke from the thatched roofs turned the sky blue and from this Glengorm got it's name' blue glen'.One of the evicted tenants cursed Forsyth citing that he would never sleep in his new house.This came true as Forsyth was killed in a riding accident before the castle was completed.



Anyway, returning back to the castle after a lovely albeit very damp walk we left our sodden gear in the entrance hall. Everything was very relaxed I must say , even the bedroom doors were all left unlocked 24 hours a day. After a warming shower and a spruce up I decided it was time to pay a visit to the library. This was no ordinary library however as it stocked over 20 different fine malt whiskies, all of which were complimentary to guests ...

 

Continuing with the relaxed spirit of the place I set off without bothering to put on any shoes, that was a mistake. I was soon to discover that a polished wooden staircase and woolen socks are not a good combination. I took quite a tumble down the staircase , Norman Wisdom would have been proud of my descent My mobile phone disappeared over the top rail shattering the screen upon landing in the hall. As for me, well I was in crumpled heap at the bottom of the stairs trying to regain some semblance of dignity. A German visitor enquired semi mockingly if I had started early on the whisky? Which wasn't particularly well received by yours truly I must say. Needless to say I quckly poured myself at least a double double purely for medicinal reasons of course, a Balvennie I think it was ?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...