Tuesday 8 October 2024

Wheal Coates Mine St Agnes

 

In all the years that I've been coming down to Cornwall I have made a realisation. 'I've never been to a Tin Mine'. Perhaps I've never really wanted to until now? It has become a mission on this particular trip to track one down. Wheal Coates is probably the most photographed of all the Cornish tin mines. Maybe because it was used as part of the 'Nampara Estate' in the TV series Poldark. Whatever the reason it is the most dramatic of settings high on imposing cliffs above a sweeping beach. The wind is sweeping around too, blowing in some heavy showers interspersed with some weak sunshine. 

Yellow Gorse and Purple  Heather

Across the purple heather carpet and bright yellow flowers of the Gorse I get my first sighting. I'm going to savor the moment though, go for a walk along the coastline first . So prepare yourself for lots of photographs of the mine a little later. I'm just following the SW Coast Path in the direction of Chapel Porth. I know It's Chapel Porth because it s spelled out in the hillside. The National Trust describe Chapel Port as a wild but cosy beach rich in heritage and legend. The wild part I certainly won't argue with! I would have loved to have gone as far as St Agnes Beacon but I have left Mrs A in a Tea Shop and have limited time. The view from the top of St Agnes Beacon is said to be one of the most impressive in Cornwall. Hopefully next time, I'm starting to regret not going now...


 


Rather than follow the same path back I decide it would be a good idea to climb some craggy outcrops. Probably not my best idea but it kept things interesting. I also parted company with my cap too. I very rarely wear one so I was keen to reclaim it. I'm on my way to the mine and feeling very excited despite the inclement weather. The shaft engine house is certainly an iconic image. Wheal Coates tin mine opened in 1802 and worked until 1889 when the Tin price fell. At its peak Cornish mining employed upwards of 30,000 people. In the mid 19th century the industry began to decline, and in 1875 over 10,000 miners left Cornwall to find work overseas.


 
Pumping Engine House

Earliest records indicate a mine at the site since 1692. From 1700 to 1914, the metal mining industry played a vital role in transforming our way of life. It provided essential raw materials to feed the Industrial Revolution in Britain. At the height of its production, 140 people were employed at the site to mine a seam of tin just below sea level. The surviving buildings date from the 1870s when deep underground mining began at the site.There are three engine houses. Towanroath Pumping Engine House was used to pump water from the adjacent 600 ft Towanroath shaft. There are two Whim engine houses which were used to crush ore for processing. "Old Whim" was built in the mid 19th century, while "New Whim" was built in the late 19th century.The surviving structures were all listed as Grade II buildings on 31 October 1988. the site The site is now preserved and maintained by The National Trust. 

I've found it incredibly impressive and will certainly come back again.I imagine a sunset backdrop would be stunning. Maybe next time walk from here along the coast to Perranporth that would be a good walk.Talking of walks I've covered around 3.5 miles today which isn't bad for a quick stop off. I wander back to the Tea Shop to catch up with Mrs A and a much needed pot of Green Tea and a slice of cake!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The John Bunyan Trail (1) Barton Le Clay & Hexton

Exciting times! The start of a new long distance path 'The John Bunyan Trail'. A 124 km/77 mile walk dedicated to the Puritan Evange...