Wednesday 30 November 2011

Cheap Trick - Birmingham LG Arena



Cheap Trick were superb and I would go as far as saying they were the best support act I have seen since Anthrax supported Metallica at the old Birmingham Odeon way back in 1986. By the end of the set the whole crowd were on their feet cheering and waving- Brilliant !



Some of the tracks played were instantly recognisable like the classic, 'I want you to want me', 'Dream Police' and a brilliant rendition of 'Gonna raise hell'. They also did a Beatles cover of 'Magical mystery tour' which went down a storm.



Robin Zander has played a 1950s Rickenbacker Combo 450 Mapleglo since the late 1970s, as well as a Hamer 12-string guitar, a Gibson Firebird, and various Fender Telecaster-styled guitars. He has a fantastic voice and is a top front man for sure.

Robin Zander


Rick Neilsen is a larger than life character! An avid collector who has over 250 guitars in his possession. He has collaborated with Hamer on trademark 'themed' guitars, some based on Cheap Trick albums such as "Rockford," "The Doctor," and even songs such as "Gonna Raise Hell." Hamer has also made unique five-necked guitars and electric mandocellos for Nielsen. I've never seen anyone throw so many guitar picks into the crowd. I was sitting 20 rows back at the NEC, sorry LG Arena (old habits die hard) and got 3 of em !!

Rick Nielsen



I was so excited about seeing Deep Purple I had totally forgotten that Cheap Trick were supporting! CT are a band I have heard of for years yet know next to nothing about. A friend of mine is a huge fan and always raves about them.
Hailing out of Rockford Ilinois they actually released their first album in 1977 although Robin Zander (lead vocals) and Rick Neilsen had been together previously in different guises.
Cheap Trick is well known for their four decades of almost continuous touring.
They have often been referred to in the Japanese press as the "American Beatles".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...