Thursday 15 April 2010

Acupuncture




I had quite a shock yesterday when I went to see the physio regarding the ongoing lower back problems I have.
David (my physio) casually asked if I had ever considered acupuncture? I replied that I'd try anything if it helped ease my back pain with a hint of bravado. Before I had time to say 'Are those needles sharp?' he had whisked out a disclaimer and i was all signed up and ready to go!!!!

Traditional acupuncture is an holistic healthcare system that regards pain and illness, whether physical or mental, to be a sign that the body is out of balance. The overall aim of treatment is to restore the body's equilibrium.
The underlying principle is that illness and pain occur when the body's vital energy, cannot flow freely. The body's energy flows can become obstructed, in much the same way as a trapped nerve or blocked artery. This can be for any number of reasons such as emotional and physical stress, poor nutrition, infection, or injury.

By inserting ultra-fine, sterile needles into specific acupuncture points, a traditional acupuncturist seeks to re-establish the free flow of vital energies to restore balance and trigger the body's natural healing response.

I really could feel the needles being inserted and one or two made me wince a little. David later explained that my back muscles were quite well developed and were very tight despite my best efforts to relax. I could actually feel heat with some of the needles which was a good sign.
The secret is to get a little bit 'Hippyish' and be at one with the needles and feel them doing their work, unless David was winding me up ?

Overall I found he whole process very relaxing and I think I obtained some immediate benefit. Certainly during the night and during 'wake up' time I seemed to have more freedom of movement.

I have another session booked for next week so hopefully the progress will continue !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...