Saturday 2 May 2020

Naseby and Sibbertoft historic Battlefields Ride

View across the Brampton Valley
It's good to be back on my bike again. I've done a number of short rides all with varying degrees of pain Now I feel that my injury has healed sufficiently to venture a little further afield !

All of course while abiding with the current safe social distancing policy This involves keeping a good  two metres distance from anyone else.

My plan is to get to the historic village of Naseby where the most famous battle of the English Civil War took place in 1645.


Leaving Moulton I went out passed the College through the village of Pitsford.Turning right I joined the A508 Harborough Road. Not ideal but less busier I thought than the cycle track that goes all the way to Market Harborough. It was a beautiful Spring day so I took the opportunity to take a picture from one of my favourite beauty spots pictured above. Almost opposite the entrance to Lamport Hall and just before the village of Hanging Houghton. The view across the valley is superb.


 I pass Hanging Houghton and Lamport before reaching Maidwell. I'm nearing my turn off point but not before I have to negotiate a monster of a hill. I have to dig on all my energy reserves for this twisty beast.

After the hill there is respite as I turn left passed 'Scotland Wood' and the road is flat once more as I head towards Haselbeach. I stop again to photograph the wind turbines rising majestically thorough the golden fields of oil-seed rape crop.



Haselbeach is your quintessential sleepy English village. It might even be classified as a hamlet? I do know the population would be less than a hundred. I don't see anybody around , except for numerous cyclists of varying abilities.

I approach Naseby with some excitement, I can feel the air of being somewhere historic and I want to take it in.
A sign points to a monument commemorating the Civil War battle.  I take the road towards Clipston for about 400 yards and on my right is the Obelisk.  The sun is directly behind it so taking a half decent photo was tricky.

The monument was erected in 1823 by John and Mary Fitzgerald, Lords of the manor. It is one of two monuments in the village.

It's probably an appropriate time to introduce some of the leading characters involved in the battle.

King Charles I was head of the Royalist army (Cavaliers).
The Parliamentarian New Model Army (Roundheads) were supporters of Parliament and were lead by Sir Thomas Fairfax and Oliver Cromwell.  Prince Rupert (Kings nephew) deserves a mention too as a prominent Cavalry Commander.

The Obelisk Memorial

Battle of  Naseby information sign




All Saints Church

You are here
I headed back into the village passing the All Saints Church on my left. It is thought a Church has been in Naseby since 1086 as he Domesday recorded a priest being there. A 17th-century table, known as "Cromwell's Table", stands in the north aisle.Most of the current church building was erected in the 13th and 14th centuries.

Cromwell Memorial - Battle of Naseby

Yours Truly

The fighting took place on the morning of the 14th June 1645. In the open fields of Naseby and surrounding area.This was like the 'Grand final' after three years of fighting. The Royalist (King Charles I) army was heavily outnumbered. They amassed a total of  10,10 (4,600 foot soldiers, 5,550 horses) .This compared to Parliamentarian (Sir Thomas Fairfax) forces of 13,576 (7,500 foot soldiers, 5,400 horses and 676 Dragoons). Unsurprisingly perhaps , the Royalists were defeated. 


It was a massive defeat ,Royalists had suffered 6,000 casualties,1,000 killed and 5,000 captured.Compared to just 400 Parliamentarians  either killed or wounded. Among those killed on the Royalist side was the bulk of Charles’ veteran infantry, including 500 officers. The king also lost all of his artillery, many of his arms and personal baggage. Today it is hard to imagine all the carnage and bloodshed of that day. The skies are clear blue, lush greenery and their is birdsong. Today it is a scene of perfect calm in this most tranquil of settings. 


Emptiness on the Al4

With some reluctance I leave Naseby and begin the journey towards home. The feeling of history seeps into you and it's hard to let go. I cross the deserted A14 again destination Welford via Sibbertoft. 

It's a steep old climb up through Welford and I'm blowing a bit at the top of the hill. I'm half tempted to veer off on some side tracks but stick to the main road. I don't want to abuse the government restrictions on suggested physical activity during the lock-down. Also its always a joy to pass Hollowell Reservoir from the A5199 on a sunny day.
The views are another of the county's best !

I stop at a deserted 'Red Lion' at Thornby. The picnic benches are still outside but the pub is all shut up. I make do with a banana and some cordial.









Beautiful Holowell Reservoir





Heading towards home I decide to leave the main road and detour down 'Merry Tom Lane'. The plan being to follow the 'Brampton Valley way' back to Kingsthorpe. It was a nice idea but the track was just too crowded with walkers and cyclists. I veered off at the Brampton Halt and tackled another big hill up to Pitsford. From there it was a nice ride on to the finish line of home. I had covered over 38miles!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...