Thursday 28 May 2020

Althorp and East Haddon Bank Holiday Bike Ride

Another sunny Bank Holiday in lockdown....At least I can get out on my bike and get some fresh air and beautiful scenery.
I never really have a route planned when I set off and go wherever the mood takes me. I do like it out in the Bringtons though so that was the direction for today.
Upper and Lower Harlestone are also lovely places to cycle to. I always find the'Dovecote Laundry fascinating with it's  proud blue sign prominent.

Turning off the Nobottle Road and looking down the road with the Church at Great Brington in the distance is a wonderful view.  Althorp House lies behind the walls on the right hand side side.  Although much of the surrounding land is also owned  by the Althorp Estate.

The only slight downside is knowing that I have to cycle up the hill to get there in a few minutes. But not before I've made a brief stop for a couple of photos.



Althorp House




Althorp House entrance





'Althorp was built in 1508, by the Spencers, for the Spencers, and that is how it has remained for over 500 years'. At least according to the official website. Today would ordinarily be one of their busiest days in the calendar. But the gates are  locked and the car parks are all empty and it is a scene of tranquility. 

St. Mary the Virgin , Great Brington

Well I did indeed make it up that hill! 
Lawrence Washington, the Great Grandfather of  George Wahington St. Mary the Virgin with St. John Church, Great Brington first president of the United States, is buried in the chancel of the Church at St Mary's.
The Dovecote Laundry Harlestone

Althoughis it is forever forever linked with the Spencer family of Althorp. The Spencers have held Althorp for centuries, and generations of Spencers are buried inside the church.These may even include Princesss Diana herself ??
The official version is that Princess Di was buried on an island in Althorp Park. However, there is another version of the princess's burial which suggests that she was secretly cremated and her ashes interred in the family chapel at Great Brington church.....Now I'm certainly no conspiracy theorist so I will let you make your own minds up, and who knows ? You may well be correct.



 leaving behind Althorp and the Bringtons I  head out towards another very pretty village 'East Haddon'. One of the cottages has a wonder tall tower in the garden. I noticed a gentleman tending to his borders and asked if he minded me taking a photo. He was a lovely chap and asked me if I would like to go and have a closer look!

He explained that it was originally built as a water tower in 1890. For many people in the village their water was supplied from this tower.
Water was gravity fed from its two tanks, which had, according to Pigs Pubs & People, a combined capacity of 10,000 gallons.Although an article in the Northampton Mercury (12th November 1954) suggested the tower held "two tanks which hold a total of 5000 gallons" The tower continued in use certainly into the 1950's. My relatives were the village bakers and Ken Craddock said when his father took over the bakery in 1925, they had no mains water and all their water had to be collected from the pump opposite their house.  They also had a well in the garden, but its water was not drinkable and could only be used on the garden.


Looking up to the roof of the water tower

 

I think that the garden and tower look magnificent and it was a real privilege to be invited in. 

The cottage is immediately opposite the St Mary the Virgin Church. 

I ride through Ravensthorpe passing 'Coton Manor Gardens' again sadly closed due to the current virus regulations. The gardens are beautiful all year round. Not only blooming borders and wildflower meadows but Flamingoes on the pond as well.

Coton Manor Gardens

It has been a really good ride , around 27 miles according to my Strava app. It is certainly the fittest I've felt since my shoulder injury.

More importantly it is always good for one's own mental health and wellbeing. It takes you away from the problems of life and and I suppose it is escapism in it's purest form .

I take the opportunity to pull into a field and just listen to the noise around me.A gentle breeze rustles the leaves in the trees and birdsong fills the air, bliss .
A brief rest before heading home


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...