Friday 11 October 2019

Stillmarillion -Newhampton Arts Centre Wolverhampton

Back to what is fast becoming one of my favourite venues in the Midlands. Perfect timing saw us arrive 15minutes before the doors open. Just enough time to get a bag of chips from the shop on the corner. The third and my most anticipated of the three 'Tribute Bands' I have attended recently 'Stillmarillion'.

I was particularly looking forward to re-acquainting myself with the very reasonably priced German lager they have on tap too. Particularly after the aforementioned chips had given me something of a thirst. Sadly there were no draught beers on sale though. I had to make do with a bottle of 'Greene King East Coast IPA'. Chilled within an inch of it's life I had to put it down to warm up a bit after the first swig.

There was a steady flow making their way in and we managed to get onto the barrier stage left easily enough.

 A very local couple stand next to me, he reeks of cigarette smoke and is armed with a four pack of Red Stripe. He says something almost indiscernible along the lines of 'hope I don't get lost tonight'. I have no idea what he means.

Tonight is all about the 1984 album 'Fugazi', it being the 35th anniversary of it's release. The follow up album to ' Script for a Jester's Tear.The album got in the UK top 5 and went gold, at a time when the charts actually meant something.
Naturally the evening started with the albums opening song 'Assassing' a song I've always really liked. Although I could probably say the same about 90% of those on offer tonight. It was also the second single to be released from the album.
The first single released 'Punch and Judy' followed and then maintaining the running order 'Emerald Lies'.

The sound is excellent and the venue has filled nicely without being rammed. Formed in Scotland in 2008 they have a real gem of a singer in 'Martin Jakubski'. I've  seen him once before with the Steve Rothery band and was impressed then. He has the strength of voice, stage presence and humour to carry off the 'Fish' role to perfection. That isn't to say that it is a 'warts and all imitation' far from it. the band put their own stamp on proceedings and let the music shine through. I have to say though Martin did remind me in looks and voice of a larger than life 'Ally McCoist' the ex Scottish footballer.


Martin
I had noticed that the chap next to me had already disappeared off twice. Both times returning smelling of ciggies and the second time with more cans of 'Red Stripe'.

We veer away from 'Fugazi' with the title track from the debut album 'Script for a Jester's Tear'. There is lots of audience participation singing along and clapping all adding to a tremendous atmosphere that just continued to build.  The next track is back to 'Fugazi' with the highly underrated (in my opinion)  'Jigsaw'.

'We are now going to do a song from 'Clutching at Straws' says Martin, 'Hope it's not too modern for you'... 'If it is you're going to be even more pissed off a bit later' he says with a huge grin on his face. The songs in question are 'Torch Song' and 'SlĂ inte Mhath' .It may sound a bit lame but I'm going to say it anyway 'Close your yes and it could be the great man himself out there on stage' . There is no higher tribute I can pay. 

There is a new boy in the band tonight in the shape of' Stuart Clyde' on Keyboards.Martin tells the crowd that he has mastered the songs in no time which is amazing. Unlike Barrie on the Bass who still can't get things right after ten years!It's fast and furious stuff alright with one great song after another. 
Guitarist 'Mark' has the unenviable task of filling the shoes of 'The Master' Steve Rothery. He takes it all in his stride without any fuss and does a more than credible performance. 

We head right back to 'Fugazi' with Cinderella Search and the song that always splits opinion 'She Chameleon' . It's not my cup of tea but I suppose it has grown on me a little over the years. The next song is though in my top 5 of all time Marillion songs 'Incubus' and arguably the best of the many great Rothery guitar solos.  It is then that we move into the more unfamiliar territory (for some) of  'Seasons End'.
The first album with new singer Steve 'H' Hogarth.

It being the 30th anniversary it seemed only right to throw in a few tracks from the album. Not something that the traditionally 'Fish years' band are known for doing. I don't see anyone rushing for the exit doors ,except of course for the man next to me who is gone again . Soon to return with more 'Red Stripe' smelling of 'oily rags' and no doubt a bit lighter in the bladder.. We are treated to; The Univited Guest,followed by Berlin (never played before and totally winged). We then had a debate if the audience would rather hear 'The Space' or 'Seasons End' Oh 'F**k it lets do both was the outcome. Roll up, Roll up We've got 'Seasons End' wheel of fortune here tonight folks !


We're gonna be here until Tuesday at this rate says Martin, nobody would have minded I don't think ? It's one of those kind of nights. 
Next to come is a 'mash up' from the breakthrough album 'Misplaced Childhood' Kayleigh/Lavender /Blue Angel/Misplaced Rendezvous/ Heart of Lothian and it is wonderful. Really looking forward to hearing the band come back next year to do the album in it's entirety. 

What time is it ? Asks Martin . A wag shouts back 'It's six o'clock in the tower blocks' .... .... Still loads of stuff to do better make that finish on Wednesday then !

 The last two songs are the stirring 'Tux On' the 'B' side to Sugar Mice of course from 1987.  The second 'B' side tonight after 'Cinderella Search'. The final song is the most commercial track on 'Clutching'  'Incommunicado'. Guaranteed to get the crowd jumping. Its been fantastic , a blast, nostalgic call it what you will I loved it.

Possibly the best is yes Yet to come (arguably) No it's not Grendel, all though it's had it's usual shout outs.

The band return to the stage to the haunting intro notes of 'Fugazi' and never fails to make the hairs on my neck stand up . It's an epic song and this my friends is 'Brixton Chess'. One of the greatest songs ever penned by Fish without doubt.
We finish with what else but 'Garden Party' which filters perfectly into 'Market Square Heroes' . Even the chap next to me hasn't moved for these last three. Some achievement in itself! 
Tonight has been something special, the crowd have love every second , and the band are one together on the stage exchanging banter and having fun . Can't wait to see them again soon !   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...