Wednesday 18 September 2019

Creedence Clearwater Review - The Robin Bilston

Bit of a strange one this.... Who would think of a two hour midweek drive to see a Tribute Band?? My wife would that's who.  I think when she first told me my response was that I wasn't too sure that I would make that much effort to see the original Creedence Clearwater Revival. It wasn't well received let me tell you.

I thought it was strange that the satnav took us a roundabout route via Hinckley and Tamworth. Every time we neared a motorway junction it sneered and stuck two fingers up at it. 'Must be an accident on the motorway' I'ts taking us the quickest route'. Are they really that clever ??

I was travel sick and my back was playing me up , not a good combination. An ambulance overtook us on the dual carriage way, for some unknown reason a BMW slammed it's brakes on , the ambulance smashed straight into the back of it.
The signs were not looking good already. Miraculously we arrived, and were first on the scene some 20 minutes before the doors opened. Nobody else was in sight , I double checked with the ticket checker/doorman/barman who were all the same person that we had the right night.
Assured that it was the right night we eased ourselves  into the adjoining hotel bar at The Robin. It is name the 'Woody Room' after local legend Roy Wood of ' Wizzard' and 'The Move' fame. Aside from all the pictures of Roy it was a characterless place, something akin to a 1970's British Rail waiting room but minus any matching furniture. I just had time to order a pint of Banks's Mild (3.5%) before the same gentleman hurriedly put the shutters up behind the bar. Must have thought that I looked a hellraiser on the 'Mild'.

The concert venue is good though and there is plenty of room. Early arrivals are all seated around the edge of the large auditorium. It suits me to sit down though with my back getting steadily worse. Another pint of Mild just isn't the painkiller of choice. Time to call for 'Dr Jack' perhaps ? Mindful of my travel sickness and the journey home I resist.

Enough of my woes, Dale Taylor takes up the role of John Fogherty on guitar and vocals. We are promised; rootsy, swampy , bluesy and country rock tonight. As the lights dim the majority of those seated make their way to a standing position. I'm guessing there were about 150 maximum ? Not a great turnout. We are treated to the classic 'Bad Moon Rising' very early in the set along with 'Susie Q'.  Green River, Born on the Bayou and 'Rockin All Over the World' (more famously covered later by Status Quo of course). No everyone knows that this was written by John Fogherty.


Its all good but I'm just not feeling the love tonight with the pain. The band break for an interval and we head back tothe 'comfort' of the chairs. The band are off for what seems an eternity, a decision is made to call it a night there (by us not the band). 

We leave the venue and it is chucking it down, miraculously it stops as we reach the car. It's been that sort of night.  
On my insistance Marina checks the satnav and low and behold it is set to 'avoid motorways'...... ........With the box 'unchecked' we head for home taking in the M6 ! but not for long though , two junctions down it is closed.... So we detour through Coventry and all is well again. 

In truth this won't going down as one of my favourite gigs but I don't suppose it was ever going to really . 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...