Monday 28 August 2017

Inverness (1)

 

We trudged off the train onto a dreary drizzly Inverness platform. The skies were leaden grey and not offering much hope of any improvement. Undaunted we set off in search of our hire car. I recall the lady at 'Arnold Clark' remarking that I didn't look well. Ominously I was to hear that phrase a few times over the next few days. 'I don't travel very well' was the only response I could muster.Fully acquainted with our new motor we set off to find our digs for the next couple of nights. It was not even mid morning so we were unable to check in but we did at least manage to offload the suitcases. Umbrellas up we ventured into the town centre not quite sure what to expect. I know I would have liked a shower and a change of clothes but that wasn't to be.



Our first port of call was Inverness Castle which has had a colourful history over the years. It is believed that there has been a fortified building on the site since Malcolm 3rd (1057). In 1508 Alexander Gordon, Earl of Huntly and Sheriff of Inverness built a great tower house that was besieged by Mary Queen of Scots army in 1562. The Castle Viewpoint is the newest visitor attraction in Inverness offering 360 degree views of the Highland Capital and the surrounding scenery. Sadly our view was a bit restricted due to the weather but I did brave the elements to capture a few pics. I didn't hang around at the top of the tower in the driving rain. I am assured that on a clear day it is an excellent vantage point to view, The Caledonian Canal, Loch Ness, Kessock Bridge, Chanonry Point Lighthouse and the battlefied at Culloden! Along with many more. Due to the weather we decided to adjourn to the nearby museum where it will be at least dry. The museum had information on the heritage and geology of the Highlands and was OK considering admission was free. At least we had chance to sit down in the dry with a cup of something warm.
 
 Low and behold when we re-emerged back outside it had stopped raining. Still too early to check into the hotel the plan was to get a few picnic items to take on our walk along the west side of the River Ness. Passing the Episcopalian Cathedral, crossing the suspension bridge onto the Ness Islands and view the Redwoods.Take a quick detour to visit the Botanical Gardens before returning back along the east bank taking in a bar en-route. I knew all this because I asked at the helpful Tourist Information Centre who also gave me a lovely map with the route carefully marked out.


 As with all great plans they don't always go accordingly. The picnic was secured via a quick trip to Marks and Spencers but by the time we had got to the River Ness it was raining again. This time only heavier , not only that, somehow I had parted company with my trusty and newly acquired map. This was going to have to be done on instinct , just the way I like it. Th e water was lovely,clear, and fast running. I can see how it would be very relaxing along the tree-lined walkways by the grassy banks on a nice day. We did make it , rather bedraggled to the Botanic Gardens which was like a sauna inside the glass house. Coming back on the east side of the river there were nice views from the bridges. Great place for a relaxing stroll.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...