Tuesday 31 October 2023

Murder Mystery Night

It is 1848, A number of invited guests are gathered for a dinner party at the stately home Withering Depths on the Torkshire Moors. 

May I be so bold as to introduce myself. I am Lord Selby Withering, 24 year old son of my dear Mummy The Dowager Lady Withering. I love the finer things in life like art and poetry. In fact I spend my spare time, which is most of the time actually, writing sonnets and watercolour painting. My best friend 'Sir Clifforde Heath-Clifforde' calls me a Dandy and a Fop which is bit rich. He is a frightful Rake with an eye for a pretty lady and a fast horse. Those also present tonight are; Suzanna Heath-Clifforde Emily Lloyd Bridges Lady Caroline Mouton Reverend Adam Brethren and Jane Eyrie.The hosts of the dinner party are  Suzanna Heath-Clifforde and Carlos Chickensi. Carlos is a Spanish Count, who dabbles in revolutionary journalism. Suzanna is the younger sister of Sir Clifforde and is half Spanish. There is a surprise too, as our hosts have acquired the services of a Waiter called 'Luigi'. He is from Ancona, Gerona or Verona or somewhere in Italy at least. A bit rough round the edges but tries hard I'm told.

Our Hosts
 

Lady Caroline Moutin is a noted society beauty and a very close friend of my Mother. Emily Lloyd-Bridges is a sweet girl aged just 18 and a Ward of mummy. She s very naive and inexperienced in the world. It's a good thing that her Governess Jane Eyrie is also present tonight. A very religious lady who will keep her on the straight and narrow I have no doubt.  She is a good friend of The Reverend Adam Brethren. A poor cousin of the Witherings, an austere Calvanist Minister. 

Sir Clifforde & Lady Caroline

 Before Dinner was served The Reverend Brethren gave Grace. Although it was more of a sermon really . I added my own recently penned verse celebrating the joys of the Autumn season. 

We had hardly started our 'Smoked Swan and Chamomile starter when failing to appear the Lady Dowager was found dead in her room. Penetrated by a sharp object , a terrible sight. But nobody apart from those gathered had been in the house. The murderer must be amongst us. The famed Detective 'Boycott McClue' was immediately summoned to resolve the mystery. Nobody must be allowed to leave until the Detective could conduct his investigation.  

Jane Eyrie & The Revd

Poor Young Emily was overcome with grief. I took it upon myself to provide comfort. A soothing verse helped provide calm to the situation. Sadly other participants were not quite so receptive. Even the Reverend was breathing fire and brimstone berating the evil that has come to the house. The fickle finger of suspicion is being pointed in all directions. There are those who see fit to try and put me in the frame ... Oh how awful. At the time of the horrific murder I was in the billiard room waiting for Sir Clifforde. Needless to say he failed to show, I wonder what that tells us? In fact everyone of us gathered around the table is not above suspicion. Each person has their own reason for perhaps wanting the Lady Dowager dead. That Cad Sir Clifforde has even raised the subject of my gambling debts.  I of course have my own suspicions, however for now I will keep my powder dry and see what the good Detective is able to establish. I do have my doubts about that Waiter though? He is an unknown quantity and who knows what he is capable of?   

Emily Lloyd Bridges
Things were taking a very unsavory air, unlike the roast Wild Boar which was most palatable indeed. The Inspector had been sifting through the clues and was getting close to naming in the culprit. He was confident that an arrest would be made before the cheese an biscuits would be served. As the accusations continued to fly I had some strong ideas of my own. However I shall keep these thoughts private. I shall spare the blushes of the killer of poor dear mummy. Not for their sake but for those who might also find themselves around the table at Withering Depths. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...