Tuesday 11 July 2023

UK Pink Floyd Experience - Royal & Derngate Northampton


A nice surprise to be seeing the UK Pink Floyd Experience at The Derngate Northampton. Mrs A made the purchase after my Peter Gabriel concert at Nottingham was cancelled. So I'm a bit under prepared , not having done my due diligence on the band. This was to later come back and haunt me....

First stop however was 'The Cordwainer' in the Town Centre for a pre gig pint and bite to eat.
I had already noticed a couple of people in there with 'UK Pink Floyd Experience' T shirts.  While waiting at the bar I asked one individual if he knew what time the band were on stage? He confirmed it was 7:30, as I thought. We had a bit of a chat, and I asked for some reason if he was a Roadie with the band. No 'I do some singing' he replied. 'You might see me on the stage'. Well I'll look out for you I replied. 

Paul Andrews Vocals and Lead Guitar
Safely installed in our Circle Box it didn't take long to spot my friend from the pub! (Paul Andrews) He had been very modest about his role to say the least! 
We are promised a night of Pink Floyd classics spanning the 60's to the 90's. The first set kicks off with 'In the Flesh' from 'The Wall' and 'The Dogs of War' (A momentary Lapse of Reason). The Syd Barrett classic 'See Emily Play' from 1967 follows. A time of quaint Psychedelia and free thinking. The Syd Barrett story is ultimately a sad one. There is no doubting though the esteem in which he is held. No better example than the next song 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond' (Parts I -V) dedicated to Syd after he left the band in 1968 struggling with mental health and LSD related issues.

The seven piece band are mightily impressive. The Theatre is about 90% full and is reserved as usual. That's probably a bit unfair actually. Absorbed in the music would be more accurate. I for one closed my eyes, and allowed myself  to drift off into Pink Floyd haze.  The two female backing singers are both excellent.  It's unfair to single out individuals, they're all part of a collective,doing a job, so no ego's present in this show. So many of my favourites are being played tonight already. 'Brain Damage' & Eclipse (The Dark side of the Moon) take us to the interval and a chance to draw breath. 
David Power, Bass, Vocals Producer & Director

I was pondering during the break, as well as drawing breath. I have seen very few Tribute/Cover bands over the years. With the exception of the brilliant 'Stillmarillion' the others have all been versions of bands that I have never seen. (Led Zeppelin, The Smiths, Genesis). Tonight being another to add to the list. The chances of ever seeing the 'real' 'Pink Floyd' are now virtually non existent. The relationship between Roger Waters and Dave Gilmour is dysfunctional at best.The battle continues to rage on.  

The band return to the stage with 'Pigs on the Wing' Part 1 & 2 from the concept album 'Animals).

I understand that 'Echoes' the 2nd track on the night from the 'Meddle' album. Included due to popular demand for 2023 I believe. Maybe I could start a campaign to get 'High Hopes' from the Division Bell included for 2024?. 

The second half of the show lends itself more to the classic 'The Wall' Album. There are great versions of 'Hey You' and a raunchy 'Young Lust'. It's enough to get me a bit hot under the collar.....The Bass intro to 'Money' restores me back to some form of stability at least.

Next up we have the second best song from the 1994 'Division Bell' album ( see previous comment). I'm joking of course 'Keep Talking is a great song' but I do love 'High Hopes' Maybe It's because 'Nightwish' do a brilliant version of the song?

The band announce some good news! They will be coming back to the Derngate again next year. They are also doing a number of 'Stately Floyd' concerts. On 1st June 2024, they will be just over the border in Leicestershire at Stanford Hall. Along with Dire Straits Tribute, there will be laser displays, pyros, drone light displays and a firework finale. Sounds good to me. Other venues to be announce as they are confirmed I believe.   

As we draw towards a close, the last two songs of the night are predictable, but very welcome. The penultimate song being 'Another Brick in the Wall (Pt 2). Sounding as good as I've ever heard it. Of course no Pink Floyd set would complete without the sublime 'Comfortably Numb'. A perfect end to a superb night. By now many of the crowd are up on their feet, as am I up in my lofted eyrie looking down.

It has been a thoroughly enjoyable night. The band looked like they were having fun too which is important. Apologies to those band members and support team that I haven't mentioned in person! You are all awesome!! 

Full Set List 

  • In the Flesh
  • The Dogs of War
  • See Emily Play
  • Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Parts I-V) 
  • Time 
  • The Great Gig in the Sky
  • One of these Days
  • Sorrow
  • Wish you were Here
  • Brain Damage 
  • Eclipse

Part 2

  • Pigs on the Wing (Pt 1)
  • Pigs on the Wing (Pt 2)
  • Echoes
  • Hey You
  • Young Lust
  • Money
  • Keep Talking
  • Mother
  • The Happiest days of our Lives
  • Another Brick in the Wall (Pt 2)
  • Comfortably Numb


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...