Tuesday 12 October 2021

Faxton and Shortwood House walk from Old

Another beautiful early Autumn day, the sun is shining and It's T shirt and shorts weather. Starting off today in the village of Old, re-tracing part of the walk last week that started in Walgrave. 

I had noticed previously a rich crop of Blackberries waiting to be harvested. So that was the basic plan, load up with Blackberries and head out towards Faxton and back to Old.Things took a slightly different turn though into a longer and interesting walk.  

I was happily engrossed in the picking process when an over friendly dog came bounding over. 'Don't worry, he just finds you interesting' cried the laid back owner. She wasn't the one wearing shorts with a sharp clawed hound jumping all over hear. Eventually the errant creature aptly name 'Trouble' lost interest and skulked off looking for the next victim. 

I didn't fancy going through 'Old Poors Gorse' again. It was very muddy last week and not much to enthuse over really.

 I decided to veer off the marked path and take my chances. First signs were good as there was a cut strip to the left of the huge field. The problem was getting out! All potential escape routes had been blocked by giant bales of hay. Furthermore a tractor was going up and down in the next field.. Time to go into stealth mode. Waiting until the Tractor was at it's furthest point travelling away, I crawled under the hedgerow into the next field. 

I always have an image of being berated by an angry Farmer with a shotgun. I suspect it is more to do with the prevention of Hare Coursing as there are a number of signs warning of prosecution.

Back on familiar ground I emerge on the road next to 'Old Lodge' and continue downhill towards the deserted village of Faxton. Deserted as recently as 1960.

Annoyingly the gate on the Public footpath has been padlocked... The climb over is a further test for my Badminton sustained groin injury. I take an unfamiliar route, turning right towards 'Claridge Spinney'. This really is 'the middle of nowhere' territory and it is awesome! Nobody around , no sound just perfect peace and relaxation. I decide to try and make my way to 'Shortwood House'.

Shortwood House


I've said before that there is something special about navigating from a paper O/S Map. Today is one of those occasions. The views are fantastic and you can literally see for miles. A lone horse rider has a quick chat before trotting off . Following the edge of 'Short Wood' it is just the Pheasants that I have for company. Thankfully there is no shooting today and the birds are in relaxed mood.   

I had wanted to see Shortwood House at close quarters, with Its Hawking Tower for a long time. The three- storeyed Tower dates back to 1720. To the south, the boundary of the grounds is formed by a 'ha-ha' so as not to interrupt the stunning views of the finest Northamptonshire countryside. 



There are some fantastic trees out this way too. Amazingly they are all still in full leaf and only just starting to adopt their Autumn colour. It is always the Horse Chestnut trees that go first. Interesting fact of the day Horse chestnut leaves are used for treating varicose veins, hemorrhoids, and swollen veins (phlebitis). Something to keep in mind I suppose.

The path starts to take me back towards Scaldwell. The one on the map is closed off and there is a redirection in place.I must be in the right place as a Farmer in a Tractor goes by with a cheery wave. At least I think it was a wave? It's a bit muddy underfoot where the Tractor has been back and forth. Thankfully the next field is pretty dry, useful as I have to go diagonally across. I seem to recall walking around the edge of this huge field the last time. 

A couple are coming towards me as well as their dog I now know is called 'Paddington'. Who once again makes a 'bee line' straight towards me. He seems friendly but I've made that mistake before of course. I'm literally once bitten twice shy. I always feel I have to explain myself, why I'm not on the floor fussing their pride and joy. 'Been bitten, keeping my distance' lightning can strike twice where dogs are concerned.They were a very nice couple, I showed them my Blackberries..... Easy.. that was not a 'Carry on Rambling' euphemism.   

They carry on, you might be able to make them out in the picture on the left ..(Maybe not). 

I emerge into someones front garden! At least that seems like the case. A man is coming out of his front door. 'Always wondered where this path came out' I offered. 'Well now you know' was the reply as he got in his car and disappeared. 

Opposite the path was an Apple tree overhanging a garden wall. Just what the Doctor ordered, I availed myself of half a dozen to go with the Blackberries.Definitely going to be a large Crumble in the 'Arthur' household tonight.

Church of St Peter. & St Paul Scaldwell
 The Church in Scaldwell is Grade 2 listed and dates back to 1213.

Further down in the village a cricket match is taking place on someones front lawn. It's a bit late in the season though and the wicket is very green. Definitely a good toss to win and have a bowl I suspect. 

The bowler has the right idea coming down the slope. I don't have time to watch the match unfold though. Slightly distracted I walk up someone else's drive missing the footpath. 

Last leg of the walk now as I head back towards the starting point of Old.




A bit like Buses I wait all walk for a 'Footbridge' and then two come along at once. I do like a good 'Footbridge' as regular readers will well know.   

Got to be careful now this next part is tricky in several ways. The arrows seem to take you on the wrong side of the hedge. Then it is impossible to get back so you have to come all the way back up. Secondly there are usually horses in the field too. I always find horses very unpredictable at the best of times. On this occasion I am so relieved to have passed them without incident I don't spot the rather large Bull lurking in the shadows. At this point I'm ready to sacrifice the remains of my 'Whispa' chocolate bar in a dash for the stile.He is a proper Bull too , a ring through the nose any all sorts going on.

Feeling slightly braver from the other side of the fence I venture to take a photo of our friend. 

The last obstacle is the large Sheep field and plenty of land mines to be avoided if you see what I mean? They too seem quite menacing but soon scatter as I near them. Over the style and I'm back by the Pub in Old.
      

Another really enjoyable walk that comes in at just over 9 miles. One or two hair raising moments as always. But a tranquil and mindful walk that I will definitely do again in the future. 

I'm off to wash my Blackberries..... please not again ....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...