Thursday 17 June 2021

The Stowes, Litchborough and Farthingstone Walk


A midweek day off and a nice relaxing solo walk in one of the most beautiful parts of the county. What could possibly go wrong? I'm in the picturesque village of 'Farthingstone' equidistant from both Daventry to the north west and Towcester to the south east. Parked up near to the church I set off in completely the wrong direction...... A helpful local lady put me back on track of a sorts. It involved taking a path that would essentially get me back to where I started from. Her assurances that it was a beautiful walk swayed me. What she hadn't told me was just how overgrown the path was.....In places it was impassable and I had to jump into the field of Broad Beans which was slightly easier. Another  extremely hot day and I was soon sweating and not to mention itching and suffering from stinging nettle rash. Into the bargain a large fly was also having a late breakfast on my arm. 

  


 It was with great relief that I found the footpath sign for the 'Macmillan Way'. This is where disaster was to strike again. Engrossed in reading my map I didn't see the electric fence .......... Not a pleasant experience slicing open my shin and getting quite a jolt into the bargain. Not carrying a First Aid kit I had to stem the bleeding with my handkerchief. Not been the best of start really has it?

It's a long steep climb through a corn field but the views back to  Farthingstone are worth it. I am now in the parish of Stowe Nine Churches, which incorporates Church Stowe and Upper Stowe. 

According to legend, the name derives from an incident involving St Michael's Church in Church Stowe. The site of the church was reputedly chosen by a supernatural spirit, who moved the building materials to a different location overnight for nine consecutive nights, so the builders eventually built the church in that location. 

 


 
  







The views from near the church are spectacular! 

All this excitement has made me hungry so It's time for a lunch stop . There is a nice bench in the shade b y the War Memorial. Unfortunately my hard boiled egg has become scrambled in the rucksack.. I empty out the worst and soon get joined by the chicken (pictured left) who soon finishes off the remains of the egg. That can't be right can it? That's cannibalism in my book surely?

Thankfully the path from Church Stowe to Upper Stowe is fairly straightforward. Except for my makeshift bandage deciding It no longer wants to stay on my leg. I emerge almost opposite the Church dedicated  to St James.

                
This is where the fun and games really started ... The footpath seemed to follow naturally across the road through a freshly cut field. Following down to the bottom all was good until there was literally nowhere to go. I retreated back up the field to where I started from. I managed to get into the next field which opened into another. However the edge had all been roughly ploughed which hardly made it inviting. I struggled through sweating profusely before giving up. Once more back up the hill into the village, this was getting silly , not to mention exhausting. 

I bumped in to a lady I actually knew! She told me how the footpath had not been maintained and was very badly signposted. If I persevered in a diagonal direction I should be able to get through to Litchborough.  I really could have done with a machete to be honest. It w of as not easy but fixed on a bearing in the distance I made it to Litchborough.

Looking back I can see the houses on the hill in the distance. I have a welcome sit down on a bench opposite the road back to Farthingstone. I'm tempted to take the safe route after all I've been through. However the original plan was to find the footpath. There is a nice pub in Litchborough unfortunately it would be another two hours before it would open at 4pm.

Off we go again!

 

Passing the Church of St Martin I managed to find The Knightley Way footpath. Part of which I walked from Fawsley to Preston Capes. I take time out to empty all the weeds and seeds from my boots which is quite pleasant. The path again is not entirely clear. At one point a large heard of cows became quite threatening and didn't back off even when I clapped my hands. Aware that on average 20 people are killed each year by cows kicking, or trampling I take very evasive action. This involved leaping over a five bar gate. It actually did me a favour as I was back on the Knightley Way from which I had strayed .   

From there onwards it was plain sailing back to Farthingstone. The highlight seeing a young Fox cub out on It's own. 

 

Not quite the relaxing walk that I had envisaged but still enjoyable though and a total of 11 miles exactly.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...