Saturday 23 November 2019

'The Accused' Orlingbury Drama Goup

Time to tread the boards again! Been a while now since playing 'Alderman Boris Fitzwarren' in Panto at Holcot.
I was a reluctant participant if truth be told. Resisting the opportunity of playing Solicitor 'Andrew Jarvis' in this tense courtroom drama.

Written by Jeffrey Archer and set in the Central Criminal Court of the Old Bailey it is a drama with a difference. The audience is the jury and decide if 'The Accused' is innocent or guilty?

All the audience has to do is decide...

Did Dr Sherwood murder his wife?
Was Jennifer Mitchell his mistress?
Which of his alibis should you believe?

No pressure there then !


Jennifer Mitchell giving her evidence
Once all the evidence is heard the audience are invited to give their verdict. But that isn't the end of the play , oh no no no.

Of course there has to be two different endings depending upon the verdict. It is only then that we actually discover the full truth, and the twists come thick and fast.

'The Accused' Dr Sherwood in the dock
I only came in at the eleventh hour at the personal request of 'Director Andrew Willson'. My wife having already taken over the Solicitor role I turned down. But that didn't last long as she was soon promoted to 'Chief Inspector Payne' as somebody dropped out. It was a tough role for someone who had never graced the stage before . However she embraced the role and did herself proud. 

As for me I was more than happy to play the 'Court Guard', calling in the witnesses as required. I like to think I built my role a little ?  A thoroughly enjoyable four nights with a lovely company of actors.
Judge Justice Cartwright

Dr Sherwood and Jennifer Mitchell re-united





















The play is well received in front of near full houses each night.

The highlight is the friction between the two sparring Barristers ( Sir James Barrington leads for the defence, while Miss Antonia Kersley a former Member of Parliament appears for the crown)  who both give wonderful performances.

They both loathe each other after Sir James defeated Kersley by one vote to become Chairman of the Bar Council. Everybody involved plays their part to the fullest and it was great fun. I must say that it has restored my enthusiasm for performing.
I can't wait to get involved again , hopefully with a slightly bigger part perhaps ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...