Friday 29 December 2017

Snowy Christmas Cycle Ride


Friends said that I was either very brave or very stupid to venture out on an icy, snowy morning. However the sun was shining bright (some of the time)I was well insulated and the bike has thick tyres and it was time to blow away the excesses of Christmas. I hadn't actually planned a route as such , just a question of sticking to roads that had been gritted, or been in the sun for a while if possible. Off I went along the Holcot Road turning left into the Brixworth Road crossing the causeway at Pitsford Reservoir. The reservoir looked beautiful coated in a layer of snow and I was tempted to do a circuit. Instead I carried in up the hill to Brixworth. Stopping only to take a picture of the sun shining on Pitsford Reservoir in the distance.

Going down the Spratton Road hill was a little worrying as it is a steep drop but the views to the left with the sheep on the hills were worth it. I made a slight detour at the crossing to go a short distance along the Brampton Valley Way towards Market Harborough to one of my favourite spots. Plenty of birdlife was in evidence, Several Kestrels , two Buzzards, Redwings and Fieldfares.



Another long climb was to follow as I went up to the village of Spratton, going through the village and joining the Welford Road. It wasn't too busy but I veered off as soon as possible taking a pleasant ride down Merry Tom Lane. This took me back on to the Brampton Valley Way this time heading
towards Northampton.


The track was extremely icy and wet for the most part so I took the opportunity to get off at the Brampton Halt and continue up Brampton Lane, yet another hill to Pitsford village. From Pitsford it was plain sailing or rather cycling back into Moulton. A very enjoyable ride ! In total 16.7 miles with a total elevation gain of 910 feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Punch - The Musician Leicester

I've just passed a late fitness test and have made it to 'The Musician' in Leicester. Just hoping that my knee will take the str...